Monday, December 1, 2008

Sick Day

So I got to go up to Jessie's for Thanksgiving and see my family, but the bad news is I got Jessie's cold. Totally worth it, though, to spend time with the Oelkers family and see the rest of my family. I had a great weekend!

However, this morning when I woke up, I was not feeling so great. I woke up with a sore throat, I couldn't get warm, and when I was trying to braid my hair, I kept having to sit down cuz I felt like I was going to pass out. I thought about calling in sick, but didn't really want to for two reasons. 1) My boss is kind of a stickler when it comes to our schedules and calling in sick or taking days off. He doesn't like it when people call in sick on Mondays, and since it was after I long weekend, I figured no one would believe I was actually sick. 2) My job puts employees on a probation period when first hired. We don't get paid holidays for the first 6 months and we don't get sick or vacation for a year. So I already had Thursday and Friday off without pay and today would make that 3 days without pay. That's a lot of money.

So, I ended up going into work wearing a big sweatshirt and a beanie and I still couldn't get warm. My boss finally told me I should go home if I'm not feeling well... I'd just wouldn't get paid. "Yeah that's 3 days without pay," I replied. It really bugs me about the sick days. I understand not getting to use vacation right away, but I think it's uncivil not to give sick days for a whole year. For one, it detrements my health because I don't want to take a day without pay and it also risks the health of my co-workers because I might end up getting them sick.

Anyway, I decided I would leave at noon, but I ended up going home at 11 because I was feeling pretty awful. I took a long nap, crocheted, and watched 3 movies. Now I'm going to go to bed and see if I feel better in the morning.

No comments: