Sunday, November 15, 2009

Last day in Panama City

It's a little after 12pm here in Panama City, and I'm sitting at the computer in the common area of our hotel. We've already checked out, and we're waiting for our 3:30 flight to Bocas Del Toro. Here is what we did yesterday:


Our hotel is up on a hill in Panama City, so yesterday morning, Mari and I jogged/walked up to the top where there was a 360 view of Panama City. Below is the view looking toward the canal, and if you look close, you can see Miraflores Locks, where we went the day before.
Here is a view of Casco Viejo, which we also visited on Friday:


A view of the metropolitan area of Panama City:

The ships lined up outside the canal waiting to go through:

Then we went to Panama Viejo, the original Panama City founded in 1519. This was the starting point for Spanish expeditions to the rest of the continent, but was attacked in 1671 and then abandoned.
This is inside the top of the 15 meter high cathedral tower:

Some Panamanian boys walking ahead of us in Panama Viejo:

The Cathedral Tower:

A lot of Panama City looks like this. It is a big city, but not very clean or modern:

Then there are parts that don't look all the different from the US, like this huge mall. The only difference I could see was the people walking around in it, although many of them dressed very similar to what we see in the US.

We've been lucky to have computer access here, and I can even get wi-fi on my phone, but I don't know what it will be like at the next place we go to. I'll just tell you that today we're heading to Bocas Del Toro, Panama, and Wednesday we head north on the Costa Rica! I'll post more pictures when I can! Adios!

2 comments:

Jessie said...

I like those pics... gives me a better idea of what it must have been like for Michael & Linc. haha

I can't wait to see pics of Costa Rica!

Mom said...

Wow bec's looks neat, I hope you'll be able to send more as your trip progresses. Mark says that he thinks that that was a baby aligator on your arm.
XXXOOO MOM