Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Central America here I come...

I meant to write about this sooner, but things have been a little hectic leading up to my trip, and now it's here already. I am leaving for Central America tonight! ....in just a matter of hours!! I don't think I've ever been so nervous and anxious about a trip before, but I'm a little scared. Why did this seem like no big deal back in January when I first started planning for it? People kept saying how I'll need to be careful traveling down there, and I just shrugged it off thinking it was nothing and I'm a strong independent woman who can do anything. But now that I'm truly leaving, like now, well....I'm scared.

But I know it's going to be a fun trip, and I'm still looking forward to it. I'm going with my roomie, Marisol. Her mom was supposed to be coming with us too, but had trouple getting her passport, so now it's just Mari and me. Good thing is Mari's first language is Spanish, so that makes me feel more comfortable about going.

Okay, so here are the details: Our plane leaves San Fransisco tonight at 11:20 and we have a layover in Miami tomorrow morning. Then we fly the rest of the way to Panama City tomorrow afternoon. We are going to spend a few days there and visit the canal, then fly to Bocas Del Toro, Panama which is a little island on the Carribean side. Then we fly to San Jose, Costa Rica on Wednesday the 18th, where we continue on to see Monteverde and Arenal. Next stop is Montezuma, which is on the Peninsula de Nicoya on the Pacific side. From there, we head North through Nicaragua on our way to El Salvador. We'll stay one night in Granada, Nicaragua before traveling the rest of the way to San Salvador, El Salvador, where we will meet with Marisol's grandma. Mari's mother's side of the family is actually from El Salvador and they have a house there where we will be staying. We will be spending Thanksgiving there, then flying home the Friday after Thanksgiving. (I think I'll be ready to come home by then).

I'm sure once I get on the plane I'll be nothing but excited, but for now I keep thinking:
What if we get lost and don't know how to get from one place to another?
What if someone steals all my money?
What if I didn't get enough traveler's checks or they won't accept my traveler's checks?
What if I end up spending way more money than I planned on?
What if those short latino men try to take advantage of me? (everyone keeps telling me how much they love pretty American women)
What if I didn't pack enough clothes or forgot to bring something important?
What if Marley runs out of food and my friend doesn't come by to feed her?
What if something happens and I get trapped over there?

Ok, enough! I just have to remember that God is on my side and He will be with me the whole time looking out for me. Wow, that really helps, I feel much calmer.

I'm going to miss talking to my mom and sister, but I'll be checking my email at any chance I get and try to post some blogs with pictures! Buen vieje! I guess I'm not supposed to say that if I'm the one traveling, so uh.... hasta luego!

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Oh my gosh, now you have me a little nervous for you. No, no, no... we're not supposed to worry or be fearful. Remember, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Tim.1:7 Just keep saying that over and over if you start to feel scared. And know that we're praying for you to have a great & safe vacation! Can't wait to see you in Dec.!!!

Michelle said...

Wow, Becky! How exciting! I'm sure you're going to have a great time. I can't wait to hear/read all about it! :)