Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Well, my long weekend started out with a bang....or should I say break? Thursday night I was playing volleyball at my league in Oakland. I was playing up at the net when I got a set that was far outside. I was moving backwards to reach for it and I tripped on the base of the pole, twisting my ankle and then landing on my wrist and breaking it. My wrist looked like it caved in and then bulged out like a crooked road. The pain was excrutiating, but the other players were very supportive, getting me ice, calling the ambulance, and a couple guys on my team even drove my car home for me since I took the ambulance to the hospital in Berkeley. They called my roommate, Marisol, for me and she came out to the hospital to sit with me and give me a ride home. Oh, and my friend Scott from my volleyball team followed me to the hospital and stayed until Marisol got there. He was really sweet as well.
My other friend, Sonia, and I were planning on leaving at 6am the next morning for our road trip to Oregon and Tahoe, so I asked Marisol to call her and let her know what happened. Without me even asking her to, Sonia drove out to Berkeley from Concord as well! I feel so lucky to have a couple of really good friends here. They are super sweet and I don't know what I would've done if I had to go through all that alone. Especially since right after Sonia came, the doctor reduced my wrist. This meant the doctor was on one side of me and the nurse on the other side and they pulled my wrist and reset it in place! Even though they had just put more morphine in my IV and injected two shots of something else into my wrist, I still cried out in pain and squirmed in my bed! To make a long story short, my ankle turned out fine, just a little sore, and my wrist was broken with multiple breaks in the radius and a small fracture to the ulna. We ended up leaving the hospital at about 2am. I am now wearing a splint and a sling and I go in today to get a cast put on.

As for the trip, Sonia and I still did our road trip, we just left a little later and she drove the whole way. It was so great to visit with my family (I was really wanting my Mommy at that point) and it was great for Sonia to meet everyone. She was amazed by their cabin and took lots of pictures.




On Sunday, we got back on the road and drove down to Lake Tahoe where her parents were staying in their timeshare. This was my first time at Tahoe and it was beautiful! This time I took most of the pictures. Sunday evening we went out for sushi with her parents and then stayed in their condo. Her parents are very nice and interesting people. Her dad is from the Czech Republic and her mom from Slovakia, so I love hearing their stories about how they came here and all of their travels.




The original reason for wanting to go to Tahoe was for Sonia and I to train for our Tahoe Relay that we have on June 13th. Well, now that I have a broken arm, I won't be running the race so we're looking for someone to replace my leg of the race. Sonia still got up Monday morning and tried to run 4 miles of her uphill portion, but she said she died at 3.5 miles....maybe it's a good thing I'm not running.





That afternoon, we all went for a hike down to a beach area of the lake. It was absolutely gorgeous! After we we finished our lunch on the sand, we started to hear thunder and heavy clouds began to move in. It was the neatest thing! It just started sprinkling as we were leaving. What a great day! Even with a broken wrist I was able to have an awesome weekend!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I was so sad to hear about your accident. What a bummer! Ouch! I can't believe you had to have it re-set. But your trip looked like lots of fun- beautiful pics!
Oh, and you've been to Tahoe before. We went there when we were in about 3rd/4th grade with Jamie & Kirsten. We went sledding, remember?

Becky said...

Haha, really? I felt in the back of my head like maybe I had been there when I was younger but I really don't remember that.

Mom said...

OK, I do remeber going to Tahoe, it was in the winter time, a long time ago. XXXOOO MOM